Sometimes you may happen to be in suck kind of very common situation when you would like to have your images cropped in order to look better and more suitable within your PowerPoint presentation. Every time when you edit them and apply various additional effects in the Pictures tool you are also able to crop them cutting off the unnecessary parts.
In general, to crop a picture means to remove or disguise some particular parts by moving the borders of the picture vertically and horizontally. Diagonal cropping is not allowed. However, the Microsoft PowerPoint program has been updated, and its latest version allows its users to crop pictures not only vertically and horizontally, but also to a particular geometric shape.
Have a look at this example of simple image cropping in Microsoft PowerPoint:
This video tutorial will show you the whole process of cropping images with the help of Microsoft PowerPoint program: : .
In order to crop an image, you are supposed to do the following simple steps:
- In the very beginning it is necessary to open your PowerPoint presentation and create a new PowerPoint slide.
- Now you have to click on the Insert tab and select the Pictures tool in the Illustrations group.
- Choose the type of the element which you would like to insert - a picture, a clip art, or a photo.
- In the opened task pane you should type the name of the needed file or a word which can describe it accordingly.
- As soon as you see the list of the found results, you have to click the name of the object which you intend to insert.
- Click on the Format tab and the Picture pane will open immediately.
Note: In the Tutorial ¹8 it was already mentioned that there are 4 main groups of Picture tools. They are: the Adjust group, the Picture Styles group, the Arrange and the Size group. Every time when you are going to crop a picture you are supposed to use the Size group menu which is situated in the right top corner of the tab.
- Click on the Crop tool and see black markers appear on the PowerPoint sides and corners of your image.
- If you would like to crop only one PowerPoint side of the picture, you have to drag the central marker to the center of the picture.
- If you would like to cut off equal parts from two PowerPoint sides, you are supposed to do the same holding the CTRL button on the keyboard of your computer.
- In order to cut equally all the 4 PowerPoint sides of the picture, you have to hold CTRL button on the keyboard of your computer and drag any of the corner markers.
- After you are satisfied with the new size and shape of the picture, you should press Esc button in order to exit this menu.
Note: If you would like to cut a picture up to a particular size, it is necessary type required figures in the panes situated to the right of the Crop tool. The upper pane is for the width of the picture, and the lower one is for the length.
The Crop tool includes several important options. If you click on it you will see a shortcut menu with the options. We are going to dwell on cropping to a particular shape.
- It is necessary to select the image which you would like to crop with a mouse click and then you have to click on the Format tab in order to see the Picture tools.
- Afterwards you should choose the Crop tool, open the shortcut menu and click on the Crop to a shape option.
- Finally you can choose the shape which you like in the list of shape most of all. Now your picture is cropped to the shape which you have chosen for your personal needs.
A picture can also be cropped to standard proportions. In order to do this, you should follow these simple steps:
- Select the image which you would like to crop with a mouse click and then click on the Format tab in order to see the Picture tools.
- Choose the Crop tool, open the shortcut menu and click on the Proportions option.
- Finally you have to define the required proportions.
- By SmileTemplates
- Posted June 04, 2012